Monday, February 6, 2012

The First Ever "Unsportsmanlike" Award

So I open an email I received from one of my favorite mixed doubles partners and as I'm reading, I'm going, "No way! You have got to be kidding me," or words to that effect anyway. I couldn't believe what I was reading!


Now I know as well as you do that everyone out there isn't as pleasant as...say...Marianne Crouch of Gulf Habour or maybe Elaine Capps of Park Meadow Tennis Shop, but I'm sure you will agree that the story below, is just over the top. It makes me want to start an "Unsportsmanlike Award of the Week" or something. Take a look and don't hesitate to share your opinion with a comment. Here's the story:


"Prior to our USTA match this evening our captain was contacted by the tennis professional from the opposing team’s club.  He instructed her that no food or drinks were allowed to be brought to the club.  Our captain shared that information with our team.  When we arrived we noticed that there was a crock pot, snacks and drinks court-side.  They were left covered while the matches were being played.  After the match the home team, our opponents, opened up all of the food, took out drinks and began eating.  While we were packing up our things the court side lights above us were turned off.  The home team continued to drink, eat and socialize.  As we left they did not offer any food, snacks or drinks to us.

Last season we had a match at the same location.  It happened to be one of our player’s birthday.  So we brought a bottle of wine, some drinks and a birthday cake.  We set it down court side and offered some cake or a drink to our opponents.  They quickly left the courts and again immediately shut off the lights on us.  We politely took our birthday celebration to the parking lot for a few minutes of tailgating.  We were soon greeted by the night security guard at the facility.  He said that a resident called to complain and have us removed from the property.

This behavior from the one individual is appalling.  She is a grown woman behaving like a young child, that if she were in my house would get a spanking!  Her teammates were not aware of her interaction with the security guard nor tennis pro because she is the resident member.  I would like to share this story as an example of what not to do!"

Ok, is it just me or is this over the top? I'm still shaking my head and wondering which "professional" would contribute to something like this. Surely not one aware of the entire situation. I understand that some clubs don't allow food and drinks to be brought in, but the behavior of the host team...Well, I'll let you judge. Game, set, match...T. A.

No comments:

Post a Comment